And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. – James 3:6,8.
Glory be to God who has given us victory over eleven months we are on the twelfth ladder of the year by human calendar. Surely, we shall finish this year with joy on every side in the name of Jesus. Amen.
The mystery of the tongue is our focus this month. It is very necessary to look at this organ of speech and the potency so that we shall escape the wrath of God in the misuse of tongue. Without the tongue, speech or talking is impossible. Yet, the shape of the tongue is fire like because it works like a consuming fire.
We shall discuss: (A) THE SEVEN PECULIARITIES OF TONGUE as described in James 3:6,8.
- TONGUE A FIRE v 6. The tongue is called a fire because of three things namely: the structure, colour and power. The structure is of fire, the colour is fire, the power can consume like fire when used in speech negatively or positively. It has a ravishing power. So it is important not to always use it negatively but use it positively.
- TONGUE A WORLD OF INIQUITY. The tongue is a world (kingdom) of iniquity i.e wickedness, gross injustice, rebellion, violation of right or dignity, wicked act, sinfulness. It is not surprising therefore that God put the tongue inside the cage of the teeth as a chain and the lips as a padlock. It is because it is a powerful wicked weapon and full of sin. Psalm 140:3 says, “They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders’ poison is under their lips.” The tongue is full of iniquity, how can we bridle this tongue before it destroys us? To understand a thing is key to control it or overcome it.
- TONGUE DEFILLETH THE WHOLE BODY. The tongue thou small defile, make the whole body bad, decay, dirty, unclean, impure. Does it mean we must not talk again or cut it off? No, it means we must use the tongue positively always.
- TONGUE SET HUMANITY ON FIRE. The tongue ignite fire to consume all our body. How? When it is used wrongly, sinfully to attract God’s wrath. So, the tongue always set us on fire. God will quench the fire in our lives and others. Amen.
- TONGUE AN UNRULY EVIL. The tongue is called disobedient, recalcitrant, stubborn evil. If the tongue is a powerful uncontrollable evil we need the power of God who created it to control and overpower it. We usually use the steering and brake to control the automobiles, then we must use both spiritual and natural to control the tongue.
- TONGUE FULL OF DEADLY POISON. Mr & Mrs tongue is full of venom. The poison that takes life from men. It is a serious issue to use then tongue positively in order not to die young.
- TONGUE IS SET ON FIRE FROM HELL. In good news Bible read this “It sets on fire the entire course of our existence with the fire that comes to it from hell itself” The final habitation of tongue is hell. What about the wrong users of tongue?
(B) THE SEVEN MANIFESTATIONS OF WRONG USE OF TONGUE
- Speaking proud things – Psalm 12:3
- Backbiting about others – Psalm 15:3
- Swearing falsely – Psalm 15:14
- Speaking guile – Psalm 34:13
- Speaking evil – Psalm 34:13
- Jesting, flattering/speaking idle words – Psalm 12:3, Matt. 12:36
- Speaking lies – Prov 6:19, 19:9. I Time 4:2..
The users of tongue in the above seven evil ways are the ones the tongue will set on fire of hell as described above. If you want to overcome the fire of destruction that is in the tongue, stop using the tongue in the seven ways mentioned above.
- THE SEVEN MANIFESTATIONS OF GOOD USE OF TONGUE
- Singing praises unto God – Heb 13:15; Ps 71:23; Ps 119:171.
- Praying unto God – Job 13:6
- Speaking truth about things/people – Job 33:3
- Dispersing good knowledge – Prov 15:7
- Speaking in tongues (heavenly/ unknown language) – Acts 2
- Speaking excellent things – Prov 8:6
- Preaching the true gospel of Jesus – Mark 16:15.
The users of tongue in these seven good ways are the ones that will enjoy good fruit of the tongue.
Proverbs 18:21 gave us a good summary of the vil and good of the tongue “Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.”
- THE SEVEN BLESSINGS OF GOOD USE OF THE TONGUE:
- Long life – 1Pet 3:10
- Safety from troubles – Prov 21:23
- Freedom from sin – Psalm 39:1
- Answer to prayers – Matt. 7:7-8
- Safety from wrath – Prov 15:1
- Increase in knowledge – Prov 16:21
- Satisfaction – Prov 18:20.
CONCLUSION: The five keys to possess ability to bridle and control your tongues are:
- Salvation through Christ which give you dominion over the use of tongue.
- Strict discipline over the use of words – ie personal determination to always speak positively about yourself, others and things.
- Steadfast control over your anger. You must learn to keep quite when you are angry, no matter the provocation.
- Sustained attitude of humility. This will not make you proud or be boastful.
- Stick to truthfulness no matter the situation and the price you must pay.
Remember, it is written “if any man among you seem to be religious and brideth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man’s religion is vain.” James 1:25. Control your tongue before it takes you to hell fire.