I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. But he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: (Matt. 3:11)
Introduction: Welcome to a moment of power of God. Our focus is the power of God in the Christian life. Holy Ghost fire is the symbol of God’s power, His presence and manifestation. The Holy Vessels are the Christians who serve as the container, carrier, possessor and habitation of the Holy Spirit. 1Cor 3:16; 6:19; 2Cor 6:16.
The failure of every Christian in life has been traced to the absence of the Holy Spirit because the fullness of all things comes by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Message Outline: (A) The Preparation of Holy Vessels for Holy Ghost Power & fire (B) The process for the Holy Vessels to receive Holy Ghost fire (C) The purpose of the Holy Ghost fire in the Holy Vessels.
- THE PREPARATION OF THE HOLY VESSELS FOR HOLY GHOST POWER & FIRE – The waiting, the washing, the weaning.
- The Waiting: It is required that after a genuine salvation we should receive Holy Ghost fire. The Holy fire is a necessary power of God ONLY TO HOLY CHRISTIANS. Therefore, be ye Holy. Then we have the WAITING. The Holy Ghost baptism with fire was received at the day of Pentecost after many days (40-50 days) of prayer by the apostles and disciples of Jesus Christ at the upper room. Acts 1:12-14. Hear this from Jesus “And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but TARRY (WAIT) ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.” Luke 24:49. Having heard this the disciples tarried/waited in the upper room praying for the Holy Ghost power to come. In Acts 2:1-4 – they received it on the day of Pentecost.
- The Washing – “Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.” (Ps 51:2). “If a man therefore purge himself from these (sins etc), he shall be a vessel unto honour, SANCTIFIED, and meet for the master’s use, and prepared unto every good work.” 2Tim 2:21. The second requirement is washing – which is sanctification. You must cleanse yourself from all sins and immoralities and do away with immoral things in your heart and your habitation. It is called Holy Spirit and it will only dwell in Holy Vessel (Christian). Forgive and don’t keep malice and be pure within and without for this encounter.
- The Weaning: Is the withdrawing of a person from self, affections, pleasures and total dependency with great expectation of a living faith to receive from God. At this point the word of God is read, believed and lived. In Acts 10:33 Cornelius said “…Now therefore are we all here present before God, to hear all things that are commanded thee of God.” When they were fed with God’s word by Peter, the Holy Spirit fell on them “while Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word”. Acts 10:33. You must be weaned from food, flesh, pleasure, affections and feed on the word of God and then the Holy Ghost power with fire will come.
- THE PROCESS FOR THE HOLY VESSELS TO RECEIVE THE HOLY GHOST POWER & FIRE: God does not have a particular permanent method because He is God. He chooses otherwise but the listed are the recorded process by which the Apostles and Disciples and the present day Christians received the Holy Ghost power and fire.
- Concentrated prayers for Holy Ghost power & fire. In Acts 1:12-14; 2:1-4. The Apostles and Disciples concentrated on prayers to receive the Holy Ghost power and fire and it was given to them. We should consciously concentrate our prayers and time to receive the Holy Ghost power and fire.
- Concentrated faith (desire) for Holy Ghost power and fire 1Cor 12:31 “But covet earnestly the best gifts…” You must believe, have faith and desire to receive it. The condition of your heart desire determines your result. Prayer work only with faith. Believe you will receive.
- Concentrated impartation service for Holy Ghost power and fire. Acts 8:14-17; Num 11:16-17, 25-30 . The Apostles had a service to pray for the Holy Ghost power and fire which lead to laying of hands. I believe some received during prayers and others received by laying of hands. It could be a service for this purpose or in between a prayer service or word of God service, but prayers must be observed for impartation of power & fire of Holy Ghost.
In Numbers 11:16-17, 25-30 “And the Lord said unto Moses, Gather unto me seventy men of the elders of Israel, whom thou knowest to be the elders of the people, and officers over them; and bring them unto the tabernacle of the congregation, that they may stand there with thee. 17 And I will come down and talk with thee there: and I will take of the spirit which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with thee, that thou bear it not thyself alone. And the Lord came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease. 26 But there remained two of the men in the camp, the name of the one was Eldad, and the name of the other Medad: and the spirit rested upon them; and they were of them that were written, but went not out unto the tabernacle: and they prophesied in the camp. 27 And there ran a young man, and told Moses, and said, Eldad and Medad do prophesy in the camp. 28 And Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of Moses, one of his young men, answered and said, My lord Moses, forbid them. 29 And Moses said unto him, Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the Lord’S people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them! 30 And Moses gat him into the camp, he and the elders of Israel.” This is exactly what God did but putting upon others part of the spirit of God in Moses.
- THE PURPOSE OF THE HOLY GHOST POWER AND FIRE IN THE HOLY VESSELS. The purpose means the need, the importance of the Holy Ghost power and fire in the life of a Christian. When the purpose of a thing is not known abuse is inevitable. We need the Holy Ghost power and fire for the following reasons:
- Power: But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.” (Acts 1:8). The power of God is received when the Holy Ghost power and fire comes into the life of a believer. This power is for victory over satan, sin, self, enemies – spiritual and physical and also power to carry out ministerial services in Christendom. This power is for evangelism, soul-winning and witnessing. In Luke 10:19 Christ said “Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.” This power is the power we are talking about. It is power to evangelise and winning souls. The last part of Acts 1:8 reads “… and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.”
- Purity – This Holy Ghost power and fire sanctifies and brings purity. In Romans 1:4, it is written And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:” The Holy Spirit baptism make the believer holy, pure and acceptable in the presence of the Lord. It is the secret of the holiness and purity life of the believers. Holy Spirit ensures that the vessels are clean by constantly reminding and dwelling in them for Holy communionship with Trinity/Divinity.
- Prayer – “The Holy Spirit helpeth our infirmities for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.” Rom. 8:26. Brethren, the Holy Spirit also teaches us how to pray, I am a beneficiary of such ministry of the Holy Spirit – He wakes me to pray, he tells me what to pray about and also prays for me.
- Revelation – “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.” John 14:26. Furthermore, in John 16:13-14 Jesus said, “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.” This Holy Spirit power and fire brings revelation, illumination and inspiration in the life of believers. It is a must for all believers to have this Holy Ghost power and fire to enjoy divine and direct communication from God and to God. Covet this Holy Ghost baptism of power and fire earnestly now. God is always ready to release to those that ask for it.
- Rapture – The Holy Ghost power and fire is necessary for rapture that is the last concession of believers either living or dead. In Acts 10:38 “How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.” Jesus was declared to have received the Holy Ghost power and fire which the Bible recorded as the spirit of ascension. Hence in Rom. 8:11, it is written “But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.” It is the Holy Ghost power and fire that is called anoint, unction, spirit of God, power of God, Holy Ghost Baptism. As a Christian you need it because you cannot do great exploits without this power.
CONCLUSION: The evidence of this power and fire are as follows: speaking in tongues, prophesying and unction to function. Acts 2:2-4, 17. By faith as you pray, you will receive in Jesus name. Amen.